Monday, March 9, 2009

RATS...

Yes rats. Uck.
We tend to get them, especially in the spring, and especially when there are pigs around. Right now no pigs, but a few rats here and there. Tonight I came up close and personal with one big, huge, gross tail of a rat. No, really it was just a teenager, but still.

This reminded me of a time last spring when they were abundunt. Every time I turned my head when I was in the barn a rat would be scurrying by me. I even had them run right over my boots. We don't like to use poison because of the dogs around so they tend to get out of control sometimes. I started to put the hose in their holes to try and drown them, but it could run forever and not fill up.

One day J.C. and Josie decided to have their turn. Josie had the hose sticking it down a hole until a rat would come out. We had a big ton bale of hay against the wall of the barn and the rat was trying to climb up it to get away. J.C. stuck my dog on top of the bale so he could snatch it when the rat climbed over. But the rat kept falling down before he made it to the top. Finally J.C. had enough and he got a cattle prod to push it out. Picture a concrete wall with a bale of hay pushed up to it and a rat in between. J.C. stuck his prod underneath the rat and popped it out.

I was standing back watching and I see the rat come flying out doing somersaults through the air. J.C. on the other hand had no idea where it had gone. Until....it landed on his shoulder. Ha ha ha. I about peed my pants. He jumped and screamed like a little school girl. Then he flipped it off his shoulder and wacked it with the prod. I seriously have not laughed that hard in a long time.

Sometimes I'm so easily entertained.

7 comments:

Evvie Turley said...

Ok, that is one FUNNY story! I can see it all happening in my mind. Good comedy..........I HATE mice and RATS and anything else that scurries and has beaty little eyes! Stay safe!

Trinity said...

That is so gross. I have never actually seen a live rat. And if I did I'm not sure how I would react. I wish you the best of luck with your rat killing.

Anonymous said...

That is a great story! I kind of know what you mean about rodants. We get them in the spring and fall the most. We live next to a bunch of farm ground so unfortunatly we do see the little beast,s too. Usually just when they are snitching the cows grain. However, we usually will see kangaroo rats. YUCK! Thank heavens for barn cats, that's all I can say!

Allison said...

RATS!!! I would be for moving to the city if that happened to me! UG!

Brandy said...

Lol that is so funny! I haven't ever seen a live rat either, well in the wild. I would freak!

Scott & Jennifer said...

One of the best classic quotes is:

You don't stop playing because you grow old;
you grow old because you stop playing.

I can see you & your family will be living a long happy life! I can also see that some things just NEVER change, sounds like something the two of us may have encountered in our younger youth days.

Love ya and miss ya tons!
(Dead Cow Trick)

Paige said...

oh gracious- the rat is one varmint I cannot abide. I knew my barn cat was done for when I opened the feed freezer and there were RATS in there. I almost hit the ground in panic.

Thanks for checking on me. No easy way to answer the question of whether I am ok. I will be. Somehow. I am hard to kill. I will get it together soon. You were the first person to ask, and it was a nice surprise. Thank you