Thursday, March 5, 2009

Awards Assembly


Last Friday at school was an awards assembly. I was such a proud mama. Dixon struggled so bad in kindergarten. I was not looking forward to the next 12 years. Really, it was bad. A couple times his kindergarten teacher even had me crying when I left after telling me how bad he was. This year is a whole different story. I just love his teacher. She expects a lot out of Dixon, but she also knows he can do it. At the first of the year he wasn't even on grade level with his reading. Now he is reading in the second grade level. Yea

Josie also got an award for always being prepared and willing to help others. She is creative and willing to share. I didn't know she was getting one too and I wasn't there for hers. I was sad, but she has also always been a very good student so I have seen her get a couple before.

7 comments:

Stacie said...

Way to go Dixon! I actually was talking with a lady that helps at the school and I said that my nieces and nephew go there. She said she knew them and said that Dixon has improved so much. She said he is doing awesome.

Good job too Josie! I already knew you was such a great helper but it is great they see that at school!

Evvie Turley said...

That's awesome! I'm so happy for you both. The bad grades and struggles can be sooo frustrating! It's so great to see them succeed and do well. What a great day for you. :)

Anonymous said...

That is so amazing what a good teacher can do. Sometimes I think that it takes some kids a little bit longer to mature in school.
Josie's hair was soo long. It was very pretty but it is adorable now.

George Family said...

Oh I feel for you! My nine yr old had a really crappy kindergarten teacher to. He has struggled ever since, even with good teachers. I did find out he had Irlen syndrome. Its a eye disorder were the words move on him while he reads. That is so sad you little girl cut off her really long pretty hair. Did you cry? Good for her for thinking of locks of love way to go!!

Allison said...

Cassidy is having the same problem with her third grade teacher, she like her ok she just isn't a great teacher. She was reading 140 words per minute the end of second grade now only 100 words per minute the middle of third. I have her read like crazy at home so I know it is her teacher not reinforcing stuff at school. I subbed in Cassidy's class once and it is utter chaos. I was tempted to move her classes but I want her to deal with stuff like that and become a better person in spite of it. It looks like Dixon has done just that.

Kilie Rainey said...

exciting! we need more teachers like dixon's in this life:) its called umm.. DOING YOUR JOB!!! i bet your so proud! thats awesome:) i cant wait to teach kindergarden:) love you much:) :)

Trinity said...

I can't believe you let your daughter cut off so much. Did you cry? Short hair is cute too. At least it was for a good cause. I did that about 5 years ago. It was pretty much as short as it could be.(right next to my head) I don't look as cute as your little girls do with short hair.

I love it when our kids that struggle finally get it and do well. I have one that is a wizz and one that it's just a bit harder for and I know exactly how you feel. I bet he felt extra special that you were there to celebrate with him.